Saturday, April 5, 2008

Triple Jewel

One should ever be mindful of one’s good fortune in being able to meet with, believe in, and take refuge with the Triple Jewel, and constantly reflect upon the following:

Of evil deeds that I have done throughout the distant past,
Resulting from my baseless anger, greed, and foolishness,
And rising through the agents of my body mouth, and mind
I now repent and vow to change in total earnestness.

With the entirety of my body and life I take refuge with the Buddha.
With the entirety of my body and life I take refuge with the Dharma.
With the entirety of my body and life I take refuge with the Sangha.

I vow to save the innumerable living beings.
I vow to eradicate the inexhaustible afflictions.
I vow to study the illimitable Dharma-doors
I vow to accomplish the unsurpassed, Buddha way.

I will undertake to refrain from killing, stealing, engaging in sexual misconduct. Lying, and taking intoxicants, and instead cultivate giving, morality, patience, vigor, dhyana samadhi and prajna.

If one is able to influence a single person to reverently take refuge with the Triple Jewel, the merit from this deed surpasses that derived from making an offering of the seven gems to all the living beings throughout the world system of one billion worlds. For what reason? By doing so you are able to save the life of that person’s wisdom, the life of his Dharma-body and refresh his seed of Buddhahood so that he ultimately achieves the utmost, equal, and right enlightenment. Thus one should ever strive to exhort, guide and convert others.


Dhyana Master Hsuan Hua

No comments: